When I say “Draw Cartoons”, I don’t mean comics (although I may add that as another Bucket List item, now that I’m thinking about it). When I say “Draw Cartoons”, I mean those single paneled, observational New Yorker cartoons, or the recent surge of great cartoonists on Instagram.
Now, I’m not the world’s greatest artist, but occasionally in my downtime, I’ve started doodling Jose Canseco tweets with ink pens. Jose Canseco was a professional baseball player from 1985-2001. He also did a massive amount of steroids and now, tweets ridiculous things like, “When will aliens and humans start interacting ? How do we know some humans aren’t aliens ?” So naturally, I’ve been inspired and every so often will doodle my interpretation of these tweets. I’ll continue posting them on Instagram, so feel free to follow me if you’re interested:
7 of my favorite Instagram cartoonists/self-described doodlers on the internet:
1. Jessie Cave: UK cartoonist, comedian, and Lavender Brown! Jessie Cave is always funny, if sometimes hitting a little too close to home.
2. Babr Billi: Author and artist living in Islamabad, Pakistan. This lovely lady covers a lot of emotions with watercolors and ink.
3. brooklyncartoons: So, I currently live in Brooklyn and I can personally confirm that every single hipster stereotype brilliantly mocked here is absolutely correct.
4. ScribblesbyNicole: These scribbles are incredibly relatable and are great reminders to be kind to yourself. It’s like having a mini-Leslie Knope in your pocket.
6. Luke McGarry: LA-based Luke draws mostly satirical or funny pop culture references. If you’re a pop culture nerd, like me, you’ll love his puns.
7. Violet Clair: NYC-based, Violet mostly does observational humor about being a 20-30-something.
If you have recommendations for more great cartoonists, please let me know in the comments!